Hello, welcome to a new week.
Today on the journey to significance, we’ll be looking at Creativity.
What is creativity?
Creativity is the formation of something new. It can be defined as the process of producing something that is both original and valuable.
Creativity is characterized by originality, curiosity, imagination and knowledge.
The willingness to learn, our level of curiosity, our thinking ability is a function of the ideas we are able to develop.
“Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” — Mary Lou Cook
It is generally accepted that there are several levels of creativity. Five levels of creativity were proposed many years ago by Taylor (1959) which corresponds to certain types of creative persons that we relate with in our present age. It describes creativity as emergent, innovative, inventive, productive and expressive.
1. Emergent creativity; this involves bringing forth an entirely new idea. Emergent creativity requires the ability to absorb the experiences which are commonly provided and from this produce something quite different. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison comes to mind. They were people who brought about an entirely new ideas that had never being in existent.
2. Innovative Creativity; this is when new ideas or principles are developed. It involves building on the knowledge of whatever field you are in. i.e. whatever industry or career you find yourself in. it involves standing on the shoulder of your predecessors in order to reach higher level of new understanding and ideas.
3. Inventive creativity; this is to originate or create as a product of one’s own ingenuity. It is finding new uses for existing concepts. Inventive creators use academic tradition and skills as a stepping-stone into new frontiers. inventive creativity requires the new use of old parts
4. Productive creativity; this is when an individual gins mastery over some section of the environment and produces an object. Here a person develops objects or ideas that are new to him or her but not necessarily new to other people. It involves learning skills and techniques that allows the expression of creativity in many ways.
5. Expressive creativity or independent creativity; which expresses feelings and ideas but does not need any particular skill or originality. Doing things for the joy of it. This is well illustrated by the pictures that parents often place on their refrigerators after young children have excitedly brought their latest art work home from school.
The source of creativity
God is the ultimate source of creativity. Without God we can do nothing. He created the world and everything in it including us. His level of creativity is beyond our human comprehension and for us to exercise some level of creativity we need to reference him at every point.
Now that you understand the various levels of creativity and know the source of creativity, here are some strategies to boost your level of creativity.
- Expand your knowledge base. Read things you don’t normally read.
- Be careful of what you perceive. It said that your perceptions may limit your reasoning.
- Practice guided imagery so you can see a new concept come to life. Guided imagery is a gentle but powerful technique that focuses and directs the imagination.
- Seek experience as much as you can. When you are exposed it puts more ideas into your subconscious mind.
- Try to see differently; look where others are not looking to see what others are not seeing.
- When you come up with ideas at the beginning of the innovation process, stop and think over it. Many times we come up with several ideas and start innovating, and then we come up with more ideas and never get a single idea done. At some point you have to turn off the idea generation part of the process and really work on the innovation and execution part of it in order to bring a project to life.
- Above all, pray and ask God for unique creative abilities.
The more creative you are, the more significant you become.
Bring creativity and innovation to what you’re currently doing. When you do so, you set a standard that people will always refer to.
There’s is nothing new under the sun, creativity is what makes the difference.
Everyone can be creative. I charge you to consciously add a spice of creativity to whatever you do. It will not come easy, it will require you to make some sacrifices, add to your knowledge base, get some experiences, but at the end, it will surely make a great difference.
In the words of Albert Einstein, “Creativity is contagious pass it on”.
Have a blessed week.
* * *
Click Here for
EPISODE 1 The Journey to Significance,
EPISODE 2 The power of choice
EPISODE 3 What is Significance
EPISODE 4 The power of the Mind
EPISODE 5 S is for SACRIFICE
EPISODE 6 I is for INTEGRITY
EPISODE 7 God in Significance
EPISODE 8 The Nature of Significance
* * *
Thank you for reading. I’m really looking forward to seeing your comments.
Do remember to follow by your email so as to get every post directly in your email box.
BB Channel: C0043C2A1
BB Pin: 2B9F2718