Hurray, it’s WORLD WATER DAY. Amazing. Truth be told I never really understood what this really meant. A day to celebrate water as the greatest of all liquids or what exactly? So I did my own research, I realised the term World Water Day is set aside to tackle water crises. How thoughtful. Research shows that about 1.8 million have access to drinking water from contaminated sources.
This year’s theme is Wastewater and it focuses on the reuse of wastewater from homes, cities, industries and agriculture without proper treatment, thus causing diseases such as typhoid cholera and the likes.
World water day is also a medium to reiterate the benefits of drinking safe water.
So below are amazing benefits you never knew could be derived from drinking safe water.
- Water boost immunity system Drinking plenty of water helps with decongestion, helping the body when feeling under the weather, fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attack. Chronically dehydrated people tend to get sick more often and for longer periods of time.
- Water improves skin complexion. Moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft and glowing. (no need for bleaching cream). It also gets rid of wrinkles. It’s the best treatment around for anti-ageing
- Taking enough water can boost the brain level. Well since the brain is mostly made up of water, taking enough daily promotes clearer thinking
- It is the cheapest thirst quencher. Regardless of how many times you take a bottle of soft drink, its effort at quenching your thirst cannot be compared to water. Whether bottle or sachet, water is cheaper. Be wise.
- Water maintains regularity in digestion as it is essential to digest food and prevent constipation. Drinking enough water adds fluids to the colon which help make things smoothly.
- Water flushes out Toxins. Gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).
Painfully, 663 million people don’t have access to safe drinkable water – that’s 1 in every 9 people. Unknowing to us, our water contains certain things that cannot be seen with the naked eyes like lead, fluoride, perchlorate, Bisphenol A, etc., and these substances are harmful to our health.
How then do we make our water safe and drinkable
This method is straightforward and doesn’t require expertise. It is very effective when done properly and doesn’t affect the way the water tastes.
- Filter your water.
If you’re uneasy about drinking the water coming out of your tap, there are many steps you can take to improve the water quality. Filtration separates harmful sediments such as lead from the water. Filter it through a clean cloth, paper towel, or coffee filter OR allow it to settle
- Use chlorine drops:
Chlorine has the ability to kill bacteria in water. It is also lightweight, affordable, and easily accessible. You need to wait for thirty minutes before you can drink the treated water. You need to make sure not to put so many drops as it could also be poisonous if used too much.